Wednesday, May 2, 2012

That's not really how it works, son...

About a month ago I had to explain same-sex marriage to The Boy.  One of my future business partners is married to another woman.  The partners and our spouses get together not infrequently, and Noah has hung out with us a number of times.

The last time we had the group at our place for dinner, Noah asked me about J and E.

     "Mom, J is a girl, right?"
     "Yes, she is."
     "And she's married to E?"
     "Yes, they are married.  They are married, and they have kids."
     "And E is a girl?"
     "Yes, she is a girl, too."
     "So, a girl is married to another girl?"
     "Yes, J, who is a girl, is married to E, who is also a girl."
     *silence*
     "Mama, girls can be married to girls?"
     "Yes, as long as they love each other, girls can marry girls."
     "Girls can marry boys, or they can marry girls?"
     "Yes."
     *silence - a very pregnant silence*  But, I didn't want to push it.  I wanted to see where he was going with this conversation.
     "Mama...  If a girl can marry a girl, can a boy marry a boy?"
     "Well, yeah.  As long as they love each other, they can.  What do you think about that?"
     "I think that's pretty awesome!"

Noah hasn't brought up the subject since...  Well, until Saturday.  The Boy is only allowed to play video games on the weekend, and only for an hour.  I know.  I am a mean mom.

I asked him to turn off his game because it had been an hour.  He was not happy.  He wanted to finish the level, but I wouldn't let him.  In his anger, he turned to James and said, "Dad, I wish you would divorce mama!!  I wish you would divorce her and marry another boy so that we can all play video games together!  Apparently GIRLS don't like video games."



1 comment: